Italians are big on superstitions…. it’s true. Especially us southern Italians. Here are a few of the ones that stand out from growing up. Some are serious and others are just for fun. I hope you can add some of your own as well.
- Never lay a loaf of bread upside down…. since bread is the body of Crist,it’s disrespectful (to leave Jesus on his head that is)
- Follow that up with never stick a knife into a loaf of bread…which obviously doesn’t include cutting it.
- Never cross arms when shaking hands in a group or toasting in a group…bad luck.
- Never toast with a glass of water.
- Always look into the other person’s eyes when toasting…. 7 years bad sex.
- The dreaded owl! Owls are bad luck.
- The number 17…. not good. My brother was going to get married on the 17th…my mother put a stop to that.
- I also remember that I’m not supposed to trim my nails on Thursday for some reason but I can’t remember why.
- Spilling wine at the dinner table can be easily remedied by dabbing a little of the spilled wine behind each ear.
So what are some of your Italian superstitions?Thanks to flickr’s “a_soft_world”for the photo